The Teamster Difference
Improvement by the numbers
- higher wages (11.2% more than what nonunion workers make)
- employer-provided health insurance (96% compared to 69%)
- access to paid sick days (93% compared to 75%);
- retirement benefits through private employers (82% to 48%); and
- guaranteed pensions through private employers (54% to 8%).
• Your wages, benefits, and working conditions are protected by a legally binding contract.
• You decide what goes in your contract. Then you and your co-workers vote on whether or not to approve it.
• In the campaign for your Teamster contract, wage increases, healthcare, and other benefits are all negotiated.
• If you are unfairly disciplined or fired without just cause, the union is there for you. The Teamsters’ powerful grievance procedure and our representatives and labor attorneys will fight for your rights every step of the way.
• If you don’t like something at work, you and your co-workers have the power and resources to change it.
• You don’t have a contract. Your bosses can change your wages and working conditions as they see fit.
• You have no voice and you don’t know how much anyone else earns.
• Bosses play favorites to keep workers in line.
• If you want a raise, no one has your back. You have to plead your case to a manager or supervisor.
• If you are unfairly disciplined or fired without just cause, you’re out of luck. Without Teamster's representation, you are an at-will employee. This means you’re subject solely to policy and can be fired at any time for any reason.
• If you don’t like something at work, you and your co-workers are powerless. You are at the mercy of management.