Safety & Health
Know your rights!
Federal law entitles you to a safe workplace. (Occupational Safety & Health Act of 1970.) Your employer must keep your workplace free of known health and safety hazards. You have the right to speak up about hazards without fear of retaliation. You also have the right to:
- Receive workplace safety and health training in a language you understand
- Work on machines that are safe
- Receive required safety equipment, such as gloves or a harness and lifeline for falls
- Be protected from toxic chemicals
- Request an OSHA inspection, and speak to the inspector
- Report an injury or illness, and get copies of your medical records
- Review records of work-related injuries and illnesses
- See results of tests taken to find workplace hazards
If you are concerned about any safety conditions at work, contact your business agent immediately and check out the on-line resources to learn more.