Connections Winter 2004: This Holiday
Season, Don't Shop at Wal-Mart
shop at Wal-Mart—
for your job, community & future!
Like the 12
days of Christmas, here are 12 good reasons to stay
out of Wal-Mart:
1. The low wages they pay their
“associates” undercut good union wages.
2. The health benefits they
offer are not affordable for 75% of their employees—
this drives our health care costs up.
3. Wal-Mart was the largest donor
in the campaign to defeat Prop 72—The Health Care
4. Wal-Mart has successfully
and illegally fought every union drive at their U.S.
5. The only union they’ll
accept is the government- run union in China, whose
main job is to encourage people to work harder.
6. Wal-Mart forces manufacturers
to offshore their production to China, rather than keeping
good jobs in the U.S.
7. In fact, most goods sold at
Wal-Mart are produced in China.
8. The glass ceiling—women
can only rise so high in Wal-Mart management.
9. Where Wal-Mart stores open,
mom-and pop shops close.
10. Until caught, Wal-Mart paid
undocumented workers subminimum wages to clean their
11. Wal-Mart ruthlessly overruns
local zoning ordinances to site its stores where it
12. When a Wal-Mart store closes,
they leave huge, unsightly big boxes in their wake.
Wal-Mart has the largest inventory
of empty buildings in the U.S.